Translate

A little about Playa Zipolite, The Beach of the Dead . . .

Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Southern Mexico, on the Pacific Ocean. A little bit about my favorite little get-away on this small world of ours.

Zipolite, a sweaty 30-minute walk west from Puerto Angel, brings you to Playa Zipolite and another world. The feeling here is 1970's - Led Zep, Marley, and scruffy gringos.

A long, long time ago, Zipolite beach was usually visited by the Zapotecans...who made it a magical place. They came to visit Zipolite to meditate, or just to rest.

Recently, this beach has begun to receive day-trippers from Puerto Angel and Puerto Escondido, giving it a more TOURISTY feel than before.

Most people come here for the novelty of the nude beach, yoga, turtles, seafood, surf, meditation, vegetarians, discos, party, to get burnt by the sun, or to see how long they can stretch their skinny budget.

I post WWW Oaxaca, Mexico, Zipolite and areas nearby information. Also general budget, backpacker, surfer, off the beaten path, Mexico and beyond, information.

REMEMBER: Everyone is welcome at Zipolite.

ivan

Friday, February 1, 2013

“ Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware! ” yesterday, 18:35


Nova Scotia
posts: 1,345
reviews: 12
 Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware! 
Just a short story here about an encounter we enjoyed so much.
Anyone walking about La Crucecita will undoubtedly be approached by this short old woman selling her bookmarks, other little wooden items and her chicken toy. She swings the chicken toy while walking the street with such expertise that the little chicken heads pop up and down in perfect chaotic harmony. She speaks Spanish words that capture your attention, even if you are walking the opposite direction. O.K I'm drawn in, against my husbands protests.
I had to have a chicken toy!
"how much" I ask. " Just 5 dollars" she says. "In pesos" I ask, looking for the better deal. "65 pesos" she says.
Well, now there has to be a deal here, so I ask about two chicken toys and the price. " $10 dollars" she says. Flat expression and dancing eyes.
O.K I'm thinking..add on a freebee. "Two toys and a bookmark, how about $8 dollars?"... "no just $11 dollars $140 pesos" she immediately replies.
This lady knows her prices! She won't bend. I walk away, (husband thankful) and she LETS me!
I have to have that toy now...back I go. I buy one at the full $5USD plus a bookmark for $1 because her eyes are still dancing.
I played with it today and was smiling the whole time. Priceless.
2 replies
berwyn...
posts: 206
reviews: 1
1. Re: Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!
LOL Beware indeed! She is probably the same lady who sold me a molinillo several years ago. (a wooden stirring tool used for hot chocolate.....) When I wanted another one on my next trip, she didn't have any with her. But somehow a day or 2 later, in the middle of our booze cruise (7 bay tour) she found me on the beach at Maguey and waved me out of the water. She had the molinillo and so of course I had to buy it at full asking price..........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Comments are welcome.

ivan