Translate

A little about Playa Zipolite, The Beach of the Dead . . .

Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Southern Mexico, on the Pacific Ocean. A little bit about my favorite little get-away on this small world of ours.

Zipolite, a sweaty 30-minute walk west from Puerto Angel, brings you to Playa Zipolite and another world. The feeling here is 1970's - Led Zep, Marley, and scruffy gringos.

A long, long time ago, Zipolite beach was usually visited by the Zapotecans...who made it a magical place. They came to visit Zipolite to meditate, or just to rest.

Recently, this beach has begun to receive day-trippers from Puerto Angel and Puerto Escondido, giving it a more TOURISTY feel than before.

Most people come here for the novelty of the nude beach, yoga, turtles, seafood, surf, meditation, vegetarians, discos, party, to get burnt by the sun, or to see how long they can stretch their skinny budget.

I post WWW Oaxaca, Mexico, Zipolite and areas nearby information. Also general budget, backpacker, surfer, off the beaten path, Mexico and beyond, information.

REMEMBER: Everyone is welcome at Zipolite.

ivan

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mazunte and back MEXICO | THURSDAY, 7 FEBRUARY 2013 | VIEWS [29] | COMMENTS [1]


Life Love & AdventureFOLLOW MY FIRST JOURNEY AROUND THIS LITTLE BLUE PLANET AS I TREAD WEARILY INTO UNKNOWN WATERS, SIPPING ON THE NECTARS OF ANCIENT FRUIT TREES, GRAPPLING LINGUISTICS WITH FOREIGN TONGUES, AND BATHING IN EXOTIC SENSATIONS ...



The sunrise was a calming display of nature's own clock, neither meandering behind or racing ahead.  Perfecto!  I thinks my body clock is settling in to the new circadian rhythms of this place, and the simple breakfast I had kicked me off to a good start.  I decide to walk over to Mazunte which is the small neighbour to San Agustinillo.  If it wasn't for some road works being carried out, Mazunte oozes the sleepy hippyville of yesteryear.  Like SA no one seems to be in a hurry to do anything (except the poor blokes doing the hard slog on the roads!), and the fragrant menagerie of yoga retreats, massage and reiki places, organic food shops, and dreadlocked dudes and dudettes, was occasionally broken by the scent of marijuana wafting in the breeze!  But I couldn't find any market place where I was looking for some singlets and souvenirs so I headed back. 
The beach beckoned once again so off came the sweat in a cooling swim.  Living your whole life in board shorts and singlet can't last forever, can it? Lets test that theory, hehe.
 
A lazy afternoon kicked off with a good lunch of pescado empapalado and a corona, followed by more hammock time.  While its still quite warm, the clouds have come in to take the bite out of the sun which isn't a bad thing.  I think all this free time weighing on my shoulders is slowly forcing me to forget the usual daily routines and take each moment as it comes, That's ok, but even though I planned to have no plan, I'm a creature of habit and plans are good, even if you don't have one!  Ok so it might take me a couple more days to learn how to handle this freedom - poor me, hehe.
 
With that in mind, I strolled along the main road through town.  There is only one so that didn't take me long. It's strewn with these small restaurant/bars and accommodation options all a stone's throw from the beach.  I spied one place for sale and that got me thinking, hmmm.  Food for thought at any rate ;)
 
Now the wind has dropped off, the waves are purring to the beat of their own rhythm, and I've filled up on wood-fired pizza and beer.  So as the day started, so it ends, and its time for the hammock once again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Comments are welcome.

ivan