Translate

A little about Playa Zipolite, The Beach of the Dead . . .

Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Southern Mexico, on the Pacific Ocean. A little bit about my favorite little get-away on this small world of ours.

Zipolite, a sweaty 30-minute walk west from Puerto Angel, brings you to Playa Zipolite and another world. The feeling here is 1970's - Led Zep, Marley, and scruffy gringos.

A long, long time ago, Zipolite beach was usually visited by the Zapotecans...who made it a magical place. They came to visit Zipolite to meditate, or just to rest.

Recently, this beach has begun to receive day-trippers from Puerto Angel and Puerto Escondido, giving it a more TOURISTY feel than before.

Most people come here for the novelty of the nude beach, yoga, turtles, seafood, surf, meditation, vegetarians, discos, party, to get burnt by the sun, or to see how long they can stretch their skinny budget.

I post WWW Oaxaca, Mexico, Zipolite and areas nearby information. Also general budget, backpacker, surfer, off the beaten path, Mexico and beyond, information.

REMEMBER: Everyone is welcome at Zipolite.

ivan

Friday, June 15, 2012

Huatulco, Oaxaca, Mexico - part 5


Trip to Huatulco, Oaxaca, Mexico - 5

Sailing off the coast of Huatulco

After my leisurely lunch at the Beach club restaurant 
I dropped off all my 'work gear' and prepared for my 
afternoon sailing.  Great way to spend my birthday for sure!!
Shaun picked me up from my hotel and off we went 
to the Chahue Marina where the Cosmo yacht 
is docked. It's a beautiful 47' Beneteau.  As soon
 as we were parked the 'mate' ran up to Shaun's 
car in the parking lot to bring down the cooler - 
wonderful to have this kind of service.
Captain at the helm
Cosmo employs a captain for the yacht and his job is to keep it in tip-top shape ready for the residents and their guests - this young man does an amazing job - the boat was immaculate.
Without too much ado we climbed aboard and off we went - I was very impressed with the young Captains boat handling skills - this is a large boat and took some skilled manoeuvring to get out of the dock to the main channel.
To read the rest of this blog & video click here

1 comment:

  1. When we were driving to the Marina we had thought that it wasn’t going to be a good day for a sail however the ‘wind gods’ must have heard our plea and once we were out of the channel the winds picked up and it turned out to be a brilliant day for sailing. We hoisted the sails (or rather the Captain & his mate did) and we began to head straight South.

    It really is wonderful once the wind hits the sails and the motor is turned off and all you feel is the warm sun, the gentle breeze and hear the swoosh of the water as the boat cuts through the waves.

    Shaun and I discussed a few things about Cosmo and then put business to one side for the rest of the afternoon. We both made pillows out of our towels and made loungers out of the benches in the cockpit and settled back for an afternoon of quiet, relaxation. Shaun read his book and took a nap. I just relaxed and enjoyed the scenery with a nice cold beer in hand – watching as the coastline began to vanish as we sailed in a straight line out.

    We sailed straight South for about 2 hours – about 8 miles off shore – before turning the boat back towards the Marina. Not sure if it was a shift in the wind speed or just the ‘reach’ we found ourselves on heading back because we sure picked up speed and were running pretty close to the maximum speed for the yacht. It was an exhilarating ride back as you can see in this YouTube video - Sailing off Huatulco, Mexico

    We were sailing for close to 4.5 hours – it was really a wonderful relaxed way to spend the afternoon! The young captain once again did a fabulous job of docking the 47′ yacht once back at the marina.

    Shaun dropped me back to the hotel so that I could freshen up for dinner.

    He returned around 8 p.m. along with a friend (Marcus?) of his an American chap who has been living in Huatulco for a number of years. Before we headed out for dinner we drove around the bay to Shaun’s personal residence – set in a private gated enclave of about 6 homes on the top of the cliff overlooking Tongalunda Bay. After parking the car we wandered along the pathway until we arrived at the house. The only description I can say of the view from his home was WOW – absolutely stunning – unfortunately it was too dark for me to get a picture. We spent a few minutes enjoying our drinks, the view & wonderful warm evening breeze from the edge of the terrace watching the twinkling lights around the bay ‘playing’ off the waves down below. Looking back at the house I realized that it was pretty much open on the lower level – low or no walls and on the upper levels there were windows with no glass. The design of the house was unique and welcoming, multi-level – even the pool was architecturally interesting. Looking at other homes in the enclave many of the homes didn’t have enclosed windows which suggests to me that there must always a cooling breeze and few or no bugs and obviously no great need for A/C – ceiling fans take care of that.

    We finished up our drinks and then headed into town for dinner at La Terraza Restaurante & Grill in the Bahais de Santa Cruz – we had some wonderful Calamari to start and I had an absolutely fabulous fish dish as my main course. The service, food and location were absolutely wonderful.

    I got back to my hotel around 11 p.m. and climbed into bed … l’ll throw everything in my carry-on bag in the morning!! Somehow I’m never worried if my clothes are scrunched when I’m heading for home!

    We certainly crammed a lot into my two days in Huatulco! The Cosmo Luxury Residences not only met but exceeded my expectations. I certainly can’t wait to share my experiences & photos with our Life Rich Real Estate clients at upcoming workshops & events.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Comments are welcome.

ivan