Translate

A little about Playa Zipolite, The Beach of the Dead . . .

Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Southern Mexico, on the Pacific Ocean. A little bit about my favorite little get-away on this small world of ours.

Zipolite, a sweaty 30-minute walk west from Puerto Angel, brings you to Playa Zipolite and another world. The feeling here is 1970's - Led Zep, Marley, and scruffy gringos.

A long, long time ago, Zipolite beach was usually visited by the Zapotecans...who made it a magical place. They came to visit Zipolite to meditate, or just to rest.

Recently, this beach has begun to receive day-trippers from Puerto Angel and Puerto Escondido, giving it a more TOURISTY feel than before.

Most people come here for the novelty of the nude beach, yoga, turtles, seafood, surf, meditation, vegetarians, discos, party, to get burnt by the sun, or to see how long they can stretch their skinny budget.

I post WWW Oaxaca, Mexico, Zipolite and areas nearby information. Also general budget, backpacker, surfer, off the beaten path, Mexico and beyond, information.

REMEMBER: Everyone is welcome at Zipolite.

ivan

Sunday, March 4, 2012

PUERTO ESCONDIDO OCTOBER, 2009


Just another WordPress site



PUERTO ESCONDIDO OCTOBER, 2009

The next day we spent the day at the beach, we got pretty burnt, then spent the night with after sun covered over us haha. The next day we decided to take the bus to Puerto Escondido, I had no idea what was there but sam was worshiping the lonely planet like it was the bible at this point, so I just went where ever he said. The bus took 8 hours, and it took us a little time to find the place. The place was absolutely awesome, it felt like complete paradise. The manager showed us around the place, and me and sam decided to sleep in hammocks for $5. We met Andrew and played volleyball with everyone in the hostel. Before the sunset, this Swiss bird came up with the idea of standing at the end of the beach, just as the sun was setting, and spell out mexico with humans. It took ages as the bird was fussing over everything, but when we took the picture, it looked sick. Later on we went and bought some tequila from the local shop, and some eggs to cook. We sat around in our hammocks and took it in turns to cut open our coconuts which we got from the trees on the beach with a machete. It sounded much easier than I thought. It took about 5 mins to actually do, and looked rough as fuck. But still, I was drinking tequila out of a coconut in a hammock on one of the nicest beaches I had ever seen. It was one of the most memorable experiences of all my travels. We sat playing drinking games, then 8 of us took a taxi into the town to go out. It was a great difficulty all fitting in the taxi. All of our legs were sticking out the windows. When we got the the club, they were doing 2for1 on cocktails, so we got right amongst it. Loads of people from the hostel next door came in, the place was heaving. Me and sam got speaking to a couple of Latinas, mine was from mexico and his from Venezuela. It was like being out with 10 year olds. They would dare eachother to give us a kiss, making it a huge deal. But it was cool, the night flew by, and at the end, me sam Andrew and amy decided to walk. We didn’t realise how long it was gonna take. An hour later we finally arrived, and I couldn’t wait to go to bed, so I went to sleep in my hammock.
When I woke up it was absolutely freezing. I searched around and found towels which people had hang up and wrapped myself around them. When the morning came, we decided to go surfing. Me and sam had never done it before, and it showed. My fitness was also dreadful, so after an hour of trying to stand up on a surf board, I gave up and sat on the beach. This is when we met Ross, who we ended up travelling with the whole time through Central America. He didn’t surf, but did body surfing instead. He showed us the basics, and we absolutely loved it. Fuck surfing when you can do this I thought. We walked back to the town after and went to the supermarket to grab some food, then we took a taxi to the hostel. A few of us went out for tacos that night up the road. There was a 12 year old boy serving us, who taught himself English from a book, and his English was great. We had some tacos and quesadillas with salsa verde, it was unbelievably good. There was a giant storm this night, but it didn’t stop everyone drinking. We bought some Mezcal from the local shop. They call it Tequilas bad brother, and I have to say, I agree with that. The bottle had a huge bud of weed in it. We had no idea how strong it was as it was put in an old Bacardi bottle. That night we went to the hostel next door and drank with everyone there. Once the bottle was finished, the bud of weed came out and we smoked it. The drink got me absolutely hammered, and that was pretty much the last thing I remember.
I woke up at about 4am, absolutely freezing to death. I was soaked, and for a second I thought I had pissed the bed, well, the hammock, but then I saw a pack of ice underneath my hammock, and realized that sam had thrown ice all over as I was sleeping. Did not find this funny at all, so I kicked him and woke him up, calling him a first class bellend. I didn’t do much today, other than play a bit of volleyball and walk up and down the beach. Me sam an Andrew cooked lunch for us and amy, and amy made a huge fuss spitting it on the floor saying she would rather eat dog food. Then she spent the whole day going on about how all her friends are in prison and she a model, blah blah. In the evening I had a go on a skim board, it was a right laugh. We heard loads of noise so we ran back to the hostel and Stacey had been stung by a scorpion, but she was ok. Then we had an early night, as me sam Andrew and amy were going sea fishing early in the morning.
We got up at stupid o clock to get ready to go fishing, and left with 2 mexican dudes to the port and hopped in their boat. The way it worked was the fishing rods just hung off the boat whilst the driver drove around, and they didn’t even stop when you hooked a fish on. Within the firdt 15 minutes, amy and Andrew were throwing up off the boat. I found it hilarious as amy was being sick as she was really starting to annoy me from the day before. Sam shot gunned the first fish, and it took him about 15 minutes to get it in. the fish was massive, weighing 10kg. We saw loads of turtles and dolphins, and I kept my hand in the boat after a deadly sea snake brushed passed my hand. The day was boiling, so we asked if we could stop in the middle of the sea and have a swim, so we stopped for about 10 minutes. Andrew and amy were still being sick everywhere haha. Just before we got back to land I hooked on a blue marlin. It was fucking massive. The thing jumped straight out the water making a huge splash, but I lost it within the first minute. We went back and cooked sams fish, which was a mahi mahi. It was that big it fed the whole hostel, even the manager had some. Me and sam planned that night the rest of our trip in mexico, and decided to go to San Cristobal the next day. As it was our last night, we wanted to go out, to see what it was like here. Ross came and we went to a bar on the beach and got some drinks. Some local came up to me hammered and stuck loads of weed in my hand and lurked off. I didn’t really know what to think of this so I just kept it in my hand and stayed quiet, incase it was a stitch up. Also I didnt really smoke weed lol. We got chatting to some guys who were pretty much Mexican nuttahs, so I offered him the weed that the guy had just gave me. The geeza got proper offended, saying what do I take him for, and that he can get me shot. We heard from one of the travellers that their friend got shot in the leg here last week, so we got out of here as soon as possible. The guys were shouting never to come back as we were leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Comments are welcome.

ivan