Translate

A little about Playa Zipolite, The Beach of the Dead . . .

Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Southern Mexico, on the Pacific Ocean. A little bit about my favorite little get-away on this small world of ours.

Zipolite, a sweaty 30-minute walk west from Puerto Angel, brings you to Playa Zipolite and another world. The feeling here is 1970's - Led Zep, Marley, and scruffy gringos.

A long, long time ago, Zipolite beach was usually visited by the Zapotecans...who made it a magical place. They came to visit Zipolite to meditate, or just to rest.

Recently, this beach has begun to receive day-trippers from Puerto Angel and Puerto Escondido, giving it a more TOURISTY feel than before.

Most people come here for the novelty of the nude beach, yoga, turtles, seafood, surf, meditation, vegetarians, discos, party, to get burnt by the sun, or to see how long they can stretch their skinny budget.

I post WWW Oaxaca, Mexico, Zipolite and areas nearby information. Also general budget, backpacker, surfer, off the beaten path, Mexico and beyond, information.

REMEMBER: Everyone is welcome at Zipolite.

ivan

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Saturday, February 9, 2013 Huatulco (day 3)

Saturday, February 9, 2013 Huatulco (day 3)



Saturday, February 9, 2013



Huatulco (day 3)

When we got up yesterday morning, we had sort of planned to move on. But we got a little lazy and before we knew it, it was past 9:00am and we hadn't lifted a finger to get packed up. So we decided to stay another day!

This place has some pretty interesting birds flying around. I don't know anything about birds, and I don't really want to, but I know when they're kinda pretty.



Looks like a parakeet to me, but what do I know...

Two of them together.

Some kind of jaybird? Doesn't matter to me, but like I said, they're kinda pretty.

Woody?

So anyway, with all of these pretty birds flitting around, it's sure to attract some bird people. And it does.

Whenever a cruise ship parks up in Huatulco port, one of the day trips is bird watching. So a bunch of cruise ship tourists showed up to the campround in fancy white vans and with cameras that cost more than the little blue car.


It turns out that cruise ship people don't like camping people.

I didn't know this, but our friend David mentioned that the cruise ship people won't talk to him when they come into the campground. I decided to test this out and walked up to a group of them to tell them about the parakeets that were over near our tent. 

I asked them if they had seen any parakeets yet. One snotty woman said "Well, we've seen parrots, but we haven't seen parakeets" and a few of them snickered. I said "Well I'm not a bird person, I just know that they're a pretty green bird and thought I would mention that there are some here". Their tour guide said "thanks" but they never did come over. That was that.

Then, half an hour later Ruth and I are house sitting for Joyce and David while they were out. We were actually sitting in their chairs because they're more comfy than ours! Anyhow, two bird women walked by talking in English and I could clearly hear what they were saying. One mentioned that she had friends in Ottawa. I piped up in a loud voice "Hey, we're from Ottawa"...the woman looked at me, didn't say a word, and kept on walking. So I said it louder...no response. Very strange. Ruth and I looked at each other and shook our heads. People sure are funny aren't they??!!

We finally decided we should go out and do something, so after lunch we drove to park in the nearby town of La Crucicita. It was baking hot though and we walked around a bit, but the park is pretty run down and there's not much to see.

Ruth on the park paths.

So then we drove over to the marina and had a look at the expensive yachts...

Maybe the cruise ship people would talk to the guys living on these expensive yachts?

Then we found a mirador lookout near Playa Arrocito.

Careful...it's fairly steep!

Playa Arrocito is a pretty little beach.

Then we went back to the campground until it got closer to dinner time. We really like that roast chicken place in town, so we went back there for another 70 peso ($5.65) dinner for two!

But this morning, we're definitely outta here. Up early, tent packed up, and on the road. We've got a fairly long drive to do, about 400 kms I think. Next stop, Puerto Arrista, Chiapas!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Comments are welcome.

ivan