Translate

A little about Playa Zipolite, The Beach of the Dead . . .

Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Southern Mexico, on the Pacific Ocean. A little bit about my favorite little get-away on this small world of ours.

Zipolite, a sweaty 30-minute walk west from Puerto Angel, brings you to Playa Zipolite and another world. The feeling here is 1970's - Led Zep, Marley, and scruffy gringos.

A long, long time ago, Zipolite beach was usually visited by the Zapotecans...who made it a magical place. They came to visit Zipolite to meditate, or just to rest.

Recently, this beach has begun to receive day-trippers from Puerto Angel and Puerto Escondido, giving it a more TOURISTY feel than before.

Most people come here for the novelty of the nude beach, yoga, turtles, seafood, surf, meditation, vegetarians, discos, party, to get burnt by the sun, or to see how long they can stretch their skinny budget.

I post WWW Oaxaca, Mexico, Zipolite and areas nearby information. Also general budget, backpacker, surfer, off the beaten path, Mexico and beyond, information.

REMEMBER: Everyone is welcome at Zipolite.

ivan

Sunday, October 28, 2012

¡Arriba, abajo, al centro, pa' dentro! Personally, I consider this piece of Spanish a "must know". Maybe that's because I spend so much time in bars when I go to Mexico, but that's another story, albeit related.


This blog is a collection of the things I learn from talking with native Spanish speakers on my quest to become bilingual. No grammar, no verb conjugations, no "book" Spanish - just real Spanish I learn from real conversations.


¡Arriba, abajo, al centro, pa' dentro!

Personally, I consider this piece of Spanish a "must know".  Maybe that's because I spend so much time in bars when I go to Mexico, but that's another story, albeit related.

It's pretty much a worldwide custom to make a toast while you have a few drinks friends or celebrate a special occasion.  In America, we say "cheers", as you well know.  But in Spanish, you say ¡salud!

But personally, I find that particular toast a bit plain, which brings us to the topic of today's post.

¡Arriba, abajo, al centro, pa' dentro!

There's no real translation that I'm aware of, this is just something you memorize and say it right before you slam down your favorite tequila, or whatever your drink of choice is.

So here's how it works, so pay close attention (fijense bien) because the physical mechanics of this toast are crucial.  OK, maybe crucial is a bit much, but the motions come with the phrase.

At each step, be sure to "clink" or touch glasses.

"Arriba" (glass held high, you touch the rim of your glass)
"Abajo" 
(glass held low, you touch the bottom of your glass)
"Al centro" (glass held out in front, touch the middle of your glass)
"Pa' dentro or Adentro" (drink from glass immediately, bottoms up!)

Simple, right?  Well, I say you head to the closest cantina (bar) and practice this until you get it right.

¡Cuidense amigos!

10 comments:

  1. This is great....much practice may be needed to get both hands well coordinated! I'll practice with friends, first.
    Gigi
    Reply
  2. Salute mi amigo!!!! Esta frase we mui importante aqui in Mexico. I hope that was sort of right! This is one of the first things I learned when I moved here!
    Reply
  3. the translation is quite simple: Above, below, to the middle, to the outside.
    Reply
  4. quite popular in Basque areas too, from my trip in June '10
    Reply
  5. nice note! i enjoy this toast myself!
    Reply
  6. I do this everytime me and my girls are in the mexican nite club
    Reply
  7. Above, below, to the middle (al centro), for the inside (para dentro).
    Reply
  8. The traslation is :
    UP
    DOWN
    CENTER
    and Inside
    And we use it, in every latin country not only mexico
    Reply
  9. I spent two weeks in Costa Rica and we used this phrase all the time!
    Reply
  10. Rod anfinson taught this to me a few years ago. Oh the memories we had were worth remembering. RIP. The beginning of every adventure, during the adventure, and at the end if we're still standing.
    Phx, AZ~San Diego, Calii~ Cabo, Mexico




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Comments are welcome.

ivan