Translate

A little about Playa Zipolite, The Beach of the Dead . . .

Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Southern Mexico, on the Pacific Ocean. A little bit about my favorite little get-away on this small world of ours.

Zipolite, a sweaty 30-minute walk west from Puerto Angel, brings you to Playa Zipolite and another world. The feeling here is 1970's - Led Zep, Marley, and scruffy gringos.

A long, long time ago, Zipolite beach was usually visited by the Zapotecans...who made it a magical place. They came to visit Zipolite to meditate, or just to rest.

Recently, this beach has begun to receive day-trippers from Puerto Angel and Puerto Escondido, giving it a more TOURISTY feel than before.

Most people come here for the novelty of the nude beach, yoga, turtles, seafood, surf, meditation, vegetarians, discos, party, to get burnt by the sun, or to see how long they can stretch their skinny budget.

I post WWW Oaxaca, Mexico, Zipolite and areas nearby information. Also general budget, backpacker, surfer, off the beaten path, Mexico and beyond, information.

REMEMBER: Everyone is welcome at Zipolite.

ivan

Friday, July 13, 2012

Death in An additional Light – Puerto Angel, Oaxaca, Mexico Posted: July 13, 2012 in Travel notes


Death in An additional Light – Puerto Angel, Oaxaca, Mexico

Posted: July 13, 2012 in Travel notes
Death in An additional Light – Puerto Angel, Oaxaca, Mexico
There wasnt a cloud over the Pacific. Drinking my black coffee atop Hotel La Cabaa. I couldnt consider my eyes off the skies. The fresh bay breezes cooling my encounter were quite invigorating. It was a picturesque morning in Puerto Angel. Oaxaca.
Suddenly. an sudden query brought me back towards the woman with whom Id been chatting with more than breakfast.
How do Americans view death? asked Tanya. before sipping from her cup of Joe.
Id say the majority of us are frightened of it. I replied. What about you?
In Mexico. we see death as just another part of the lifestyle cycle. the lively brunette added.
So. you do not take it seriously? I additional pried.
We attempt to live in the moment instead of fearing death our entire lives. We also attempt to have enjoyable with it. That is why Mexicans celebrate Day from the Dead and also have this kind of fairly cemeteries. for example. Tanya explained. whilst her brown peepers focused on some thing behind me.
I looked over my left shoulder and noticed what had sparked this topic. Beneath the railing of our thatched rooftop was a splendid cemetery. I was instantly impressed with the colorful graves and limitless crucifixes that dominated the healthy hillside.
It appears stunning. I said.
It is. You need to go within sometime. the Cuernavaca native recommended.
I agreed. More than the next half hour. the conversation changed to other topics. like Gabriel Garca Marquez and rock music. but I nonetheless couldnt get that marble town from my head. I needed to see it.
A couple of days later on. I found myself eagerly approaching deaths door. I had been anxious to tour the tombs ever because Tanyas recommendation. however it wasnt the actual cause for my perspiration. The February sun was searing. causing my pack to stick to my soaked back. In spite of the sweat stinging my eyes. I was nonetheless set on what lay on the other side of the baby blue archway. I wiped my brow having a sopping bandana and entered Puerto Angels cemetery.
Even though I was meandering amongst the dead. the verdant hillside was extremely much alive due to its vistas. alluring adornments. and sharp colors. The funerary grounds supplied a great view from the ocean waves that calmly flowed in from the bay. and lightly splashed upon Playa Panteon. Furthermore. the tombs were delightfully decorated. Numerous candles. infinite flowers. and stunning black pottery rested around the resting locations. Sparkling white. striking yellow and beautiful blue hues also enriched the necropolis.
Intrigued by the stillness of the site. I carefully snaked uphill. I explored in utter silence. continuously weaving about leafy trees and shrubs to photograph the comely crypts in my path. The dead air produced me really feel like I was the only individual in the world as I ascended Gods acre. I lastly reached the hilltop and ogled the eternal homes for what appeared like an eternity. I also admired Puerto Angels charming cove while I caught my breath. Having a second wind at last. I enjoyed the Pacific gusts sweeping across my encounter for a number of minutes prior to heading back down.
Descending through the deceased. I saw a middle-aged man dusting off a couple of graves near the exit. I noticed he was looking at me from below the weathered brim of his brown cowboy hat. He did not say a word. merely nodded and grinned.
Oddly sufficient. I understood; no words had been required. I realized his smile was mirroring mine. Actually. I thought the mans tranquil pleasantry was instead suitable. It represented the relaxed environment I had just skilled throughout the graveyard. And. as I squinted in the sun blazing high above the cemetery gates. I also realized that death never looked so vibrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Comments are welcome.

ivan