Translate

A little about Playa Zipolite, The Beach of the Dead . . .

Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Southern Mexico, on the Pacific Ocean. A little bit about my favorite little get-away on this small world of ours.

Zipolite, a sweaty 30-minute walk west from Puerto Angel, brings you to Playa Zipolite and another world. The feeling here is 1970's - Led Zep, Marley, and scruffy gringos.

A long, long time ago, Zipolite beach was usually visited by the Zapotecans...who made it a magical place. They came to visit Zipolite to meditate, or just to rest.

Recently, this beach has begun to receive day-trippers from Puerto Angel and Puerto Escondido, giving it a more TOURISTY feel than before.

Most people come here for the novelty of the nude beach, yoga, turtles, seafood, surf, meditation, vegetarians, discos, party, to get burnt by the sun, or to see how long they can stretch their skinny budget.

I post WWW Oaxaca, Mexico, Zipolite and areas nearby information. Also general budget, backpacker, surfer, off the beaten path, Mexico and beyond, information.

REMEMBER: Everyone is welcome at Zipolite.

ivan

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Puerto Escondido – Cintalapa, Mexico | mortalsun.com Upon arriving in Puerto Escondido we found a cheap place up on the hill on the north end of the city. Before looking into the place more we decide to go with it ... mortalsun.com/.../puerto-escondido-cintalapa-mexico/


Puerto Escondido – Cintalapa, Mexico

11/9-10/11
I left out of Zhuatanejo bright and early after a nice night enjoying the city and a dinner with some retired Americans from San Diego and Oregon. I knew I had a long day ahead to Puerto Escondido an luckily the ride was’nt to bad though getting through Acapulco was a chore. I would’nt recommend Acapulco as a destination.
About two hours before reaching Puerto Escondido yesterday I came across another lone biker heading south on the side of the road. I stop to see if he was ok, which he was, so I invited him to share a room for the night to save some pesos.
Matt was French and had come south from working in the Yukon a few months ago.
Upon arriving in Puerto Escondido we found a cheap place up on the hill on the north end of the city. Before looking into the place more we decide to go with it because it was cheap and had Playa in the name and assumed it was on the beach. Not so, but it was a room for the night and I was beat.
After changing out of our riding gear we headed down to the famous surfing beach Zicatela to have some beers and tacos. It’s definitely a killer break which was turning out some nice waves at sunset.
After sunset we walked around the bars at the beach and met a nice couple from Italy who currently live in Sweden. I found it a little funny to be in Mexico hanging out with people from the other side of the world but the conversation was great and they offered great insight on their side of the world.

The next morning I got a late start and planned to ride about six hours to somewhere around Salina Cruz though I made it a little further to Cintalapa. The ride to Salina Cruz was pretty uneventful but after that I fought the winds for a while which nearly blew me off the road a few times. Not super fun.
Cintalapa is a ture Mexican town and not really much to see though the people are freindly and the tacos and the room were cheap. Tomorrow I plan to stay somewhere near Palenque and see the ruins.


One Response to Puerto Escondido – Cintalapa, Mexico

  1. sheila rouse says:
    When I met you at Calvins you told me about your trip but didnt tell me you would be posting updates on the web. I think the pics are great and it will be fun to watch you make your way around the world. Good luck and stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Comments are welcome.

ivan