Translate

A little about Playa Zipolite, The Beach of the Dead . . .

Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Southern Mexico, on the Pacific Ocean. A little bit about my favorite little get-away on this small world of ours.

Zipolite, a sweaty 30-minute walk west from Puerto Angel, brings you to Playa Zipolite and another world. The feeling here is 1970's - Led Zep, Marley, and scruffy gringos.

A long, long time ago, Zipolite beach was usually visited by the Zapotecans...who made it a magical place. They came to visit Zipolite to meditate, or just to rest.

Recently, this beach has begun to receive day-trippers from Puerto Angel and Puerto Escondido, giving it a more TOURISTY feel than before.

Most people come here for the novelty of the nude beach, yoga, turtles, seafood, surf, meditation, vegetarians, discos, party, to get burnt by the sun, or to see how long they can stretch their skinny budget.

I post WWW Oaxaca, Mexico, Zipolite and areas nearby information. Also general budget, backpacker, surfer, off the beaten path, Mexico and beyond, information.

REMEMBER: Everyone is welcome at Zipolite.

ivan

Friday, January 6, 2017

Tulum or Isla Holbox and Playa Zipolite or Puerto Escondido Lonely Planet Hi all and happy new year! So I have booked my flight - I will be in Mexico for 4 weeks and will be flying into Cancun in Feb and…


Tulum or Isla Holbox and Playa Zipolite or Puerto Escondido
Hi all and happy new year! So I have booked my flight - I will be in Mexico for 4 weeks and will be flying into Cancun in Feb and…


Last reply was 
 22


Report
Hi all and happy new year!
So I have booked my flight - I will be in Mexico for 4 weeks and will be flying into Cancun in Feb and out of San Luis Potosi. I plan to spend half this time on the beach.
As Mexico has a wealth of beautiful coastline, my dilemma is deciding where to go. I have narrowed my choices down to: Tulum or Isla Holbox and Puerto Escondido or Playa Zipolite.
Tulum or Isla Holbox seem like good options to begin my trip - Tulum is well established and easy to get to and the beach has the wow factor. I have read positive things about Isla Holbox and like the fact that it is a bit more low key but I do wonder whether it will too quiet for the start of my trip. I am not looking to party but would like to enjoy a beverage at a convivial bar in the evening. I know Tulum is great for swimming but don't know if Isla Holbox is as well. Was wondering how both places compare and if anyone can shed any light.
Time permitting - I would like to spend some time on the Pacific Coast. Puerto Escondido (PE) and Playa Zipollite (PZ)both sound like they have great ambiance and was wondering how they compare as beginner surf destinations. At this very early stage, I am leaning towards PZ, I like the fact it has a bit of a counter culture vibe about it and it attracts an eclectic mix of people of all ages. Can anyone share any insight.
Copy and paste the url below to share the link.

1

Report
The beaches in the Tulum Hotel Zone are the best. However is is expensive but it is just so lovely there. A runner up would be the beaches in Playa del Carmen where you can find cheaper places to stay. White soft sand that never gets hot and lovely clear waters.
Copy and paste the url below to share the link.

2

Report
I'd also pick Tulum for ease of getting around to see other sites like ruins, cenotes, other beaches, eco parks if so inclined. Plus it has the beautiful blue water vs more green water since Isla Holbox is in the Gulf.
Isla Holbox might be of interest if it was whale shark season, but that doesn't start until May or June and I can't see spending a couple of weeks there.
Copy and paste the url below to share the link.

3

Report
My fave is the Pacific coast especially Oaxaca....lots of great beaches, but Zipolite is not really a surfing beach, especially for a beginner I would think. It is known for its dangerous undertow and used to have regular drownings until they got volunteer lifesavers. I luv the vibe in Zipolite. It consists of less than a handfull of streets. It does have nudism, gays, aging hippies, drugs and I hear the problems that go along with that. There are at least 4 other nice beaches within walking or a short camioneta ride away.
Playa Zicatela in Puerto Escondido is the surfing beach...also Playa Carazillo for beginners. PE has several beaches, a large choice of accomadations in all price ranges and lots of meal options and is a much larger town. There you could easily take surf lessons and meet other surfers .
Copy and paste the url below to share the link.

4

Report
Yes, if you're interested in surfing definitely go for Puerto Escondido as there are many more options -- from La Punta to Playa Carrizalillo. If you stay in the La Punta or Zicatela area you'll get a bit more of the counter culture vibe you're looking for in terms of accommodations, parties and restaurants. There's really no surfing at Zipolite (and the undertow is quite dangerous) but San Agustinillo is a great little beach town for just hanging out in. You can easily do both destinations --- the Sur bus goes up and down Hwy 200 so stay for a few days around Mazunte/Zipolite and then go to Puerto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Comments are welcome.

ivan